Guardian Email Summaries
Local Authorities and Establishments can opt-in to have Guardian email summaries made available from Google Classroom by using a similar process to the one that is used for apps and extensions. Once this has been enabled for your tenancy, it will allow teachers to turn this on for their Google Classrooms and manage guardian email addresses for all student accounts they have access to. This will be OFF by default for all Classrooms when enabled for a tenancy.
Before requesting this to be turned on for your tenancy you should consider your policies for data management and have a communications plan prepared to support learners, teachers and parents. You may wish to contact the Product Owner for Google Workspace in Glow via email@example.com before opting-in to discuss best practice and case studies based on other local authorities or establishment’s experiences.
Guardian emails allow guardians to receive, regular automatic email summaries from work assigned through Google Classroom. This does not give guardians given direct access to view assignments, files shared with students, or student work. Teachers can only add guardians for students using Google Classroom if their authority has opted in to Google Workspace in Glow, and Guardians can unsubscribe at any time. An example of the mail guardians receive is below:
Guardian email summaries aim to give guardians a greater understanding of their student’s work through regular summary emails which include:
- Missing work—Work that’s late at the time the email was sent
- Upcoming work—Work that’s due today and tomorrow (for daily emails) or work that’s due in the upcoming week (for weekly emails)
- Class activity—Announcements, assignments, and questions recently posted by teachers
For Google’s guidance and further information please see the following links:
- Summary for teachers – https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/6386354
- Managing addresses – https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/6388126
- FAQs (for teachers and guardians) – https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/7126518?hl=en&ref_topic=9049978
In Classroom teachers can set which email and mobile notifications they receive. This can also be set for individual classes. By default all notifications are turned on.
To change your notification settings go to Classroom Main Menuand select Settings at the bottom. You will see a list of notifications that you will receive by email. At the bottom you can customise these for specific classes.