Over the course of 2023 a significant amount of content will be migrated from Stream Classic to Stream on SharePoint. Microsoft have provided a tool that allows central migration of content based on certain rules.
To help with this process we would recommend reviewing your content within Stream Classic by following the guidance within Stream Housekeeping and deleting any videos that are no longer required.
Within Stream Classic all videos are within one storage area, and access to them is controlled by specific Stream permissions. With Stream on SharePoint videos are stored within an individual’s OneDrive or SharePoint sites and access is through either direct permissions in SharePoint, or sharing permissions. For more information please see Stream on SharePoint
Advantages of Migration
- Permissions will be maintained on video content migrated.
- Automatic redirects will be in place for video content until February 2025 – links to Stream Classic videos will redirect to Stream on SharePoint
- Allows for large quantity of videos to be moved without any end-user effort
Disadvantages of Migration
- Videos may be moved to an unexpected, or not preferred location
- Videos associated with locations moved from O365 Video will not be migrated with some exceptions. Please see O365 Video Content below.
- Old content may be migrated which is not desired
- Content within a group must be migrated to a single SharePoint site – this can be moved by users after migration.
NB Although content associated with channels within groups will be migrated to subfolders in SharePoint, there is no equivalent of the Channel functionality within Stream on SharePoint
- Review your content within Stream Classic and delete any old content – see Stream Housekeeping
- Review your content within Stream Classic and decide if manually moving videos is appropriate. This will allow you full control over the destination and permissions for content. If manually moving content you should remove the content from Stream Classic to prevent automatic migration and duplication of content
- Follow announcements on Glow Connect and through your Key Contact for when central migrations will take place
- If you have content that migrated from O365 Video (or have added new content to a location that migrated from O365 Video) this content may not be migrated automatically. Please see O365 Video Content below.
Location of Migrated Content
A video that is associated with an M365 group will move to the SharePoint site of that group
If a video is associated with multiple M365 groups it will move to the SharePoint site of the first group associated with the content.
Permissions will be set individually on videos to ensure everyone who had access will continue to have access, however you should confirm the content is where you wish it to be after migration.
A video that is not associated with a group, and only associated with individual users will move the OneDrive of the owner. NB if a user leaves Glow their account will be deleted in line with the normal delete process and this will include any content within their OneDrive
O365 Video Content
All content within Stream on SharePoint must be associated with either an M365 group or a user. When content was moved from O365 Video channels Microsoft created a special type of group – Stream Only.
Content in Stream Only groups cannot automatically migrate. Additional steps are required to associate this content with an M365 Group.
We will directly contact users who have a large amount of content (over 100 videos) within Stream Only groups to agree a migration strategy.
We will also publish information once all planned migrations have taken place advising that content remaining in Stream Classic is not scheduled for migration. At that point we will engage with Glow Key Contacts around the remaining content and determine whether further migrations are required.
Identifying a Stream Only Group
Within the groups display, or within the group itself, a Stream Only group will not have an M365 tag.
NB all M365 groups and Teams that you are an owner or member of will display within Stream Classic, whether they have video content or not. If you delete a group in Stream you will be deleting it everywhere!
Examples of Stream Only Groups