Google Meet can be used to hold video meetings/web conferences and Google Chat can be used to message other users. All users should be aware of local privacy and safeguarding policies before making use of this service.
Features of Google Meet in Glow
- Google Meet is only enabled for teaching and non-teaching staff to initiate Meets. Learners can only join these. All users can share their video or screen when in a Meet.
- Google Chat is enabled for staff only.
- Only meeting creators and calendar owners can mute or remove other participants in a meeting.
- As meeting hosts, teaching and non-teaching staff will have access to moderation tools that can prevent others from using the chat functionality or sharing their screen. Both of these are on by default.
- Teaching and non-teaching staff will be able to record Meets. This is not an automatic feature and all participants should give permission for this before recording. A prompt will be shown as a reminder of this before recording starts.
- Meeting participants will not be able to re-join nicknamed meetings once the final participant has left. Using these Meets or Classroom Meet links are recommended where learners are present. A Classroom Meet link is the same as a nicknamed Meet and is automatically generated and updated when configured in Classroom settings.
- Up to 100 attendees can join a Meet.
- External meeting participants (through join codes or meeting urls) will not be able to join unless the host accepts the join request.
- All anonymous users are blocked for Google Meet by default for G Suite for Education tenancies. This prevents participants from sharing a link publicly to encourage anonymous users to request access.
A detailed step by step guide is available to support educators using Meet with learners. Classroom Meets are recommended for this.
Some hints and tips are below. Please remember to use the step by step guide for more information.
Do record Meets if required but make sure you have attendees permission
Do ensure you are the last to leave a Meet by removing all other participants
Do ensure that all users are aware of local policies
Do not share Meet codes or URLs with learners
Do not just leave a Meet with learners left unattended
Support on using Google Meet in this way is available through the following Google Help articles:
The video below also discusses how Meet can be integrated and used in this way with Classroom.
Some more general guidance and training for users is also available:
|G Suite Learning Center||G Suite Training Videos|
Guidance for Tenancy Admins
The configuration of G Suite in Glow means that individual users can be assigned delegated admin roles for their tenancies. These roles have been designed to give Glow customers/ local authorities as much control over their tenancies as possible. More information can be found on the G Suite admin roles page.
Google Chat is available for teaching and non-teaching staff only and allows for one to one and group messaging. This is configured to make sure chats are only accessible by users within the domain and that the new Chat client is used (Classic Hangouts cannot be used through Glow).
Support is available though the G Suite Learning Center page.