Google Meet can be used to hold video meetings/web conferences. All users should be aware of local privacy and safeguarding policies before making use of this service.
Features of Google Meet in Glow
- Google Meet is only enabled for teaching and non-teaching staff and is not enabled for learners.
- Only meeting creators and calendar owners can mute or remove other participants in a meeting.
- Meeting participants will not be able to re-join nicknamed meetings once the final participant has left.
- External meeting participants (through meeting links or join codes) will not be able to join unless the host accepts the join request.
- All anonymous users are blocked for Google Meet by default for G Suite for Education tenancies. This prevents participants from sharing a link publicly to encourage anonymous users to request access.
Learner Access to Meet
Directors of Education may request temporary access for learners in their authority which will also allow staff to record and live stream Meets. A detailed step by step guide is available to support educators using Meet with students.
Some hints and tips are below. Please remember to use the step by step guide for more information.
|Do use Classroom Meets when meeting with learners
Do invite learners to Meets created using a meeting nickname
Do record Meets if required but make sure you have attendees permission
Do ensure you are the last to leave a Meet by removing all other participants
Do stream if you are presenting to a large audience
Do ensure that all users are aware of local policies
Do ensure Hangouts Chat is only used when appropriate
|Do not invite learners to Meets through Calendar
Do not share Meet codes or URLs with learners
Do not just leave a Meet with learners left unattended
Do not share the Meet code or link if you are streaming unless it is with a co-presenter. There is a separate streaming link created that can be shared
Support on using Google Meet in this way is available through the following Google Help articles:
Some more general guidance and training for users is also available:
|G Suite Learning Center||G Suite Training Videos|
Guidance for Tenancy Admins
The configuration of G Suite in Glow means that individual users can be assigned delegated admin roles for their tenancies. These roles have been designed to give Glow customers/ local authorities as much control over their tenancies as possible. More information can be found on the G Suite admin roles page.
These roles may be useful for Glow customers/ local authorities if deciding to opt into allowing students access to Google Meet by:
• Using Vault to support incident investigations
• Using Reports and Audit logs to check user activity