What is it?
Microsoft Stream is a video service in O365 to allow users to upload, view and share videos. Permissions are set on each video, and these permissions vary depending on the upload method.
Why would I use it?
Stream can allow you to store and organise video content. It also works with other Office 365 apps, such as Teams and OneNote, to allow video content to be shared with groups of people within Glow such as other staff or pupils.
Features of Stream in Glow
- Sharing videos is only available within Glow and not externally.
- Teaching staff and non teaching staff can upload videos, create channels (within a group), create groups and alter membership of groups.
- Pupils by default cannot upload videos or create groups or channels in Stream.
- Companywide channels are not available in Glow. However Channels may be used within a group to help organise material.
- The guidance provided is for Classic Stream.
- Before uploading content please read and accept the video policy for Glow (add link).
- For more guidance see Stream Hints and Tips.
How do I get started?
Open the Microsoft 365 App launcher , select All apps, and then select Stream.
The navigation bar at the top of any Stream page allows you to browse videos, channel or groups, create new content or search for content.
Click the Upload icon at the top of any page, or within a group or just drag and drop new videos to one of your groups. You can upload multiple videos at the same time.
There are several options for uploading videos. Depending on where you start your uploads from, different default permissions will be set on the videos, but you can always change them afterwards.
- Permissions to allow others to view, edit or share content is applied to each video.
- A video can be associated with one or many channels and one or many groups. Stream channels are for tagging material only. Channels can only be used within a Group
- Only staff can upload a video.
- Upload from any page
- Create> Upload a video
- Click the Upload icon
- Upload directly to a group or channel
For more information see Microsoft Help – Upload a video
|Upload Method||Default Permissions applied to Video|
|Main Upload Icon
|· Video is not available companywide
· Video is only viewable by the Owner
· Only the uploader is Owner
|Group upload button||· Video is not available companywide
· Video will be displayed in the group
· Uploader is Owner
· Group is Owner
Permissions In Stream
Permissions at the video level allow you to control who can see your video, who can own and edit it, and which groups and channels it’s displayed in.
The ‘Allow everyone in your company to view this video option’ will make it available to everyone in Glow. Please take care when making a video companywide that the content is appropriate for all Glow users.
The Shared with section is where you determine who can view/own your video and which groups/channels the video is a part of.
Please note that Video Owners, either directly or through group membership can:
- Change Permission on a video
You should confirm your video permissions are set as intended on a regular basis.
For more information see Permissions and privacy in Microsoft Stream
Using Groups in Stream
- Stream uses O365 Groups for permissions. Existing groups e.g. Teams may be used.
- Staff can also create new O365 Groups directly in Stream.
- Deleting a group in Stream, will delete the group elsewhere.
Please note: When creating a new group in Stream it is important to switch off the option to ‘Allow all members to contribute’. This will restrict all members from being able to add, remove and edit videos in the Group. If using an existing Office 365 group, the group owner will need to check these group settings in Stream.
For more information see Group permissions in Microsoft Stream
DigiLearn Stream Learning Pathway