What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is a service that simplifies creating, distributing and grading assessments. Using this tool helps keep learners organised and gives users the ability to create and customise assignment materials.
- Easy to set up – Teachers can add students directly or share a code with their class to join. It takes just minutes to set up. You can use our quick start guide to help.
- Saves time – The simple, paperless assignment workflow allows teachers to create, review and mark assignments quickly, all in one place.
- Review student work – View, edit and provide real time feedback on individual’s work.
- Engage students – Post questions and polls for students to interact with.
- Add materials to enhance your assignments – Teachers can add resources such as videos, Google Forms survey and lots more.
- Improves organisation – Students can see all of their assignments on an assignments page, and all class materials are automatically filed into folders in Google Drive.
- Enhances communication – Classroom allows teachers to send announcements and start class discussions instantly. Students can share resources with each other or provide answers to questions on the stream.
Using Classroom in Glow
Education Scotland has configured Google Classroom for the following:
- Only verified teachers can create Classrooms, students cannot;
- Guardian notifications from Classroom are currently disabled by default. This means that guardians will not get an email summary of student and classwork. Glow G Suite Customers can request that this is turned on for their tenancy;
- Only users in whitelisted domains will be able to join a classroom (All Glow domains are whitelisted to each other in order to foster national collaboration);
- Only authorised apps can access Classroom data. Education Scotland will process app requests for approval by Local Authorities;
- The Gmail service is disabled for all users. Any notifications from Classroom will be sent to Glow Mail (Outlook).