What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is a set of productivity tools that includes documents and storage, conversation stream, a way to keep learners organised and the ability to create and customise assignment materials for them.
- Easy to set up – Teachers can add students directly or share a code with their class to join. It takes just minutes to set up. You can use our quick start guide to help.
- Saves time – The simple, paperless assignment workflow allows teachers to create, review and mark assignments quickly, all in one place.
- Review student work – View, edit and provide real time feedback on individual’s work.
- Engage students – Post questions and polls for students to interact with.
- Add materials to enhance your assignments – Teachers can add resources such as videos, Google Forms survey and lots more.
- Improves organisation – Students can see all of their assignments on an assignments page, and all class materials are automatically filed into folders in Google Drive.
- Enhances communication – Classroom allows teachers to send announcements and start class discussions instantly. Students can share resources with each other or provide answers to questions on the stream.
Using Classroom in Glow
Education Scotland has configured Google Classroom for the following:
- Only verified teachers can create Classrooms, students cannot
- Parent and guardian access to Classroom is currently disabled. This means that they will not get any email summary of student and classwork.
- Only users in whitelisted domains will be able to join a classroom (All Glow domains will whitelist to each other in order to foster national collaboration and they will be able to join classrooms together)
- Only authorised apps can access Classroom data. Education Scotland will process app requests for approval by Local Authorities.
- The Gmail service is disabled for all users. Any notifications from Classroom will be sent to Glow Mail (Outlook).
|1. Classroom in Glow||2. Creating a Class|
|3. Managing a Class||4. Classroom notifications|
|5. Class membership||6. More information|