Glow allows learners to work in a variety of ways, from collaborating with peers to working individually at their own pace. Glow services are free to all students with a Glow login and can be accessed at anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
Benefits of Glow for learners
- Office 365 – Glow provides full access to Microsoft’s Office suite including: Mail, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, OneDrive and SharePoint. As well as using this service online through Glow, learners can download a full version of O365 at no cost. This can develop their skills with Office applications, support their learning outside school and use collaborative tools such as Sway to create and share interactive presentations demonstrating their learning both inside and outwith Glow.
- Glow Yammer – Glow Yammer is part of O365. It provides access to an online community of learners and teachers and can be used for discussion, learning and collaboration across the country. Access to Glow Yammer is restricted to learners and members of education establishments, making it an ideal environment for introducing learners to the use of social media.
- Collaborative working – Glow is a cloud-based service, meaning learners can work both individually and collaboratively on documents, projects and homework from any connected device.
- Anywhere, anytime learning – Learners can access the resources and features of Glow using any device at any time. This means that learning can continue outside the classroom on any device that is connected to the internet
- Glow Blogs – Glow Blogs allows learners to build their own blogs, giving them experience of developing an online community which they can keep private or share with other Glow users.
Practical examples of Glow being used by learners
The following examples highlight how the tools and services within Glow can be used to benefit learning and teaching.
- Kirkton of Largo Primary school share the benefits of digital technology and Glow;
- Mid Calder Primary school explains the school’s approach to digital technology and the various simple techniques used to monitor and track attainment levels, improve communications with parents and maximise time;
- Using Yammer and SharePoint to continue lessons outside the classroom and work collaboratively;
- Some examples that describe how Glow can help make a positive difference in education, highlighting the use of OneDrive, Yammer and OneNote.